Thursday, May 14, 2009

Morel Mushroom Hunt





I went on my first morel mushroom hunt today. I had a great time climbing through the underbrush looking for the little critters, and boy did I find a lot. I went with a customer that is experienced. Fry these guys up in some garlic butter, and what a tasty treat!

For those of you that are not mushroom connoisseurs (Stephanie), morels are considered the the ultimate in mushrooms. Stephanie asked "Why haven't I ever seen them for sale in grocery stores?" My response was "We don't shop in high end stores". In these stores, they sell for $25 per pound.

5 comments:

The Andersons said...

Holly Molly Buckets: You can start your own Morel business. Do they have Morel in Australia, let me know huh.

Hubba's Thoughts said...

I like mushrooms as much as the next guy, but those are weird looking... I have never seen those kind of mushrooms before.. I'll just stick to my cheap mushrooms at Costco.. I'll have to take your word for it that they taste good.. I wouldn't know where to buy anything like that around here.. I'm glad you had fun hunting for these. You remind me of my Dad... I could totally see him hunting for something like that. Maybe he can come out and you can go hunting together!!! Have a great weekend.

Phil and roxy said...

can't wait to try them!

Raquel said...

Special: 1 lb Dried Morels: $119.00/lb
I googled it because I've seen them a few times here in LA, but I really have never tried them.

I'll have to go get some!

Anderson Family said...

I WANT SOME!!!!!! :)